March 6, 2014

Boos from the Peanut Gallery: Unfavorites

With everyone talking about their monthly favorites, I decided to go in the opposite, more fun, direction and discuss my unfavorites. Enjoy!

NARS Multiple 'Orgasm'

I found a NARS gift set in Nordstrom Rack a while ago and was elated at the chance to try out some new products from NARS at a discounted price. I was pleased with most of the items in the gift set, except for this product. It's suppose to be a roll up stick version of the cult blush, but I did not see it to be the case. I was hoping this product, because it was cream, would add a subtle glow while still looking natural, but what I ended up with was glitter particles stuck to my face. The lasting power on this was also really poor and after an hour or so, the glitter was the only thing left on my face, unfortunately. NARS is coming out with matte versions of their multiples so I might try those out. 

Naturally Fresh Deodorant Crystal
This might be random, but I hated this deodorant. I wanted to find a deodorant void of all the bad carcinogenic ingredients like aluminum so I took a baby step and went to the drugstore in search of an affordable alternative instead of diving head first into expensive deodorants. I wish I saved my money. First off, this is a solid that you have to moisten with water in order to activate it. Then you apply the wet solid on your skin. Not only does it take forever to dry so you're waiting at least 5 minutes to put on a shirt, but this does absolutely nothing for odor or sweat protection. If you guys have any natural deodorant recommendations, plus let me know.

Benefit Stay Flawless Primer
I'm not a big believer in primers, but I bought this on a whim because there was a huge hype around it throughout youtube. The only thing I love about this product is the packaging. This primer did absolutely nothing so keep my makeup looking 'flawless', it instead made my, already, oily T-zone an oil slick. This stick primer also broke in half because it dried up a month into using it.

L'oreal Magic Nude Liquid Powder Foundation
Warning: If you don't have perfect skin, stay away from this foundation. This was compared to Giorgio Armani's Maestro Foundation. I already love his Luminous Silk foundation, but my wallet couldn't afford to try the real deal, so I settled for the drugstore option. As soon as I applied this foundation, it clung onto all my dry patches. It also didn't cover any of my redness or hyper pigmentation. The texture is far too watery for my liking and the finish is a little powdery. Also, the undertone of the fair shades is warm and I have more yellow tones in my skin so I walked around with a yellow neck and a pink head. I might have to save my pennies for Armani's version.

Tarte Clean Slate Creaseless Concealer
I got suckered into buying a Tarte primer set while browsing the trial sized products on the checkout line at Sephora. I had such high hopes because I love Tarte and their products, but this was a total fail. First off, the consistency of this primer was greasy and didn't really set well on my eyes. It got caught in all the creases of my eyelid and made appealing eyeshadow impossible. This also did nothing as far as ensuring the longevity of my eye makeup. I'm glad I got the trail size and didn't splurge on the full size.

Let me know in the comments your recommendations of products I should stay away from.

xx Yuliya

5 comments:

  1. I really would like to try the NARS products!

    I've never had one of them!

    xx
    Novella

    http://9lla.it/
    A fashion & DIY blog...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to try the Nars Blush, hoping it keeps its promises ;)
    Mafalda ❤
    http://mafaldadotzero.blogspot.fr

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG thanks for this post......I would always love an honest review!!!

    Rebecca
    www.redtagchiclosangeles.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anytime! I try to steer my readers in the right makeup direction.

      Delete
  4. Save your money and don't get Armani Maestro nor Lancome Miracle Air de Teint if you don't like extremely runny foundations with low coverage. They are very pricey and I don't think you'll be satisfied!

    ReplyDelete